Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Bedroom Makeover

Since moving into this house I have been slower than usual to "make it our own". Maybe it is because it's the 5th house we have bought in the last 9 years. Maybe it's because it the first house we bought since having Ben. Or maybe I am/was just burnt out. Whatever the case I finally got the bug to makeover our master bedroom. I had been holding out a bit trying to make Vince make good on a promise he made a year ago-that we could get a king size bed. I finally got him to bite the bullet and make good on his word. But this turned out to backfire on me at first. We went a picked what we thought was a great new bed. It was a king and it was "plush firm" just what we thought we wanted. Well it got delivered and I was so excited to go to bed that night. And then we got in the bed and it was hard a a rock. I am not even exaggerating. I woke up constantly it was awful. We figured we just needed to break it in. So the next day the 3 of us worked hard trying to break that bed in. Jumping. Walking. Rolling. Kneading. Went to bed on night number 2 and it was worse. I woke up at 3 am and my shoulders and hips hurt so bad that I left our room and crawled into our old bed in the guestroom. And boy was it heaven! Vince called that morning and convinced them that since the bed was literally bruising his wife they should  let us exchange it after 3 days not the standard 30 days. So we went and picked out another bed and went with the another model and got the "plush" not "plush firm". I must say I was a bit nervous to go to bed the next night but I was pleasantly surprised...it was wonderful! I am in love with our new bed!
So since we went from a queen to a king we had to give up our sleigh bed and come up with a new headboard option. And we needed to do it fast because I hated the way our room looked without a headboard. So I turned to Pinterest and found a few tutorials on making a fabric headboard and thought Vince and I could handle it. So first I needed to paint the room and get all the supplies ready to go so we could maximize our time when Ben was napping or asleep at night.  It is amazing what just a $30 can of paint can do to a room. I picked a clay like color and love it! As luck would have it the fabric store had the batting, foam and fabric all on sale that week so I got our supplies for 50%! Then it was off to Lowes to get the rest of the supplies and we were ready to go. I really wanted to make a tufted headboard-they look so much classier to me. So I went to work making buttons. I had no idea you could make your own fabric covered buttons!
Then once Ben was in bed we got to work on the headboard. I must say one of the most frustrating and time consuming parts of this project was the tufting. (But it was all worth it!) First we had to mark the back of the board where we wanted the buttons to go and then drill them. Once we got that done it was time for the foam, then batting, then fabric and then the rest of the frustrating tufting stringing. The last step was attaching the french cleat to the board and then the wall so we could securely hang it.  
When all was said and done this project took no more than 2 hours and an hour of that was the damn tufting. I must say Vince and I were pretty proud of ourselves and we love love love it!
So now I had the walls painted, a new headboard built but still had some work to do. When I bought our bedding a few years ago I bought a king in the hopes of getting a king bed soon. I also watched for Pottery Barn to finally put in on clearance and I bought an extra pillow sham. The only thing I didn't think of was the bed skirt but as luck would have it ebay had one for sale! Score! The only problem was it was in the blue pattern not the red that I wanted but oh well at this point I couldn't be too picky because I didn't have the funds to buy all new bedding. I moved the curtains from the playroom into our bedroom and bought new ones for the playroom. I liked how the blue of the curtains was the same as the blue in the red duvet cover and shams. I wanted to break up all the earthy tones and I think the blue does it! Then it was the never ending hunt for lamps. We needed something with height since our new headboard was so tall but something that also went with the dressers and nightstands. I finally scored at TJ Max! Now all the major parts came together and it was time for just a few little personal touches. Our framed letters from grandparents went back up and a few new treasures from the antique mall and we were done! We both really love how it turned out and it feels much more like home now! 

Before

After



No comments:

Post a Comment