Wednesday, December 9, 2015

We Are Royal

When it came to game 5 of the World Series I was torn-part of me wanted the Mets to win it so the boys could comeback home and take the crown at home in game 6 with me & Vince in the stands but the other part of me just wanted the win! I'm not going to lie we were exhausted...post season baseball had exhausted us with all the late nights, game day anxiety and trips to The K. So about the 7th inning we decided to watch the rest of the game in bed. As I walked up the stairs I remembered that in 2008 when we were living in Philly we had done the same thing during game 5 of the World Series and Philly ended up winning that night. I secretly had my fingers & toes crossed and didn't even mention it to Vince. And sure enough they did it...The Kansas City Royals were the CHAMPIONS. Vince & I were jumping and cheering but somehow the kids all managed to sleep through it-I will say I was a bit disappointed that Ben didn't wake up.

2 days after winning game 5 was Parade Day! All the schools announced a "blue snow day" and the city literally turned blue. I was at the parade in 1985 (not that I remember it but my parents assure me that Patrick & I were there) and I wanted to take Ben! We had decided to pull him out of school even before we got word on the "blue snow day"-things like this don't happen every year and we wanted him to experience it all! Grandma volunteered to watch Abby & Will for us which was awesome-it would have been a nightmare trying to maneuver the double stroller. We picked up my parents on our way downtown. At the time we had no idea that 800,000 people were trying to go downtown as well. We ended up finding a random spot on the Boulevard and then walked the rest of the way. Ben was so excited! He even made a thank you sign to hold up! We managed to score a spot right at the beginning of the parade which was perfect! And we were only 2 blocks from Matt's work so when he got off he came down and joined us! The parade was awesome! Such an amazing feeling to be part of the celebration! Once the parade had passed we walked back to Matt's work and he gave us a ride back to our car-this was when we started to see just how many people had invaded downtown. All we saw was a giant sea of blue. Then we got on the highway and saw all the parked cars on the shoulder, medians and off ramps! After we made it back down to the Boulevard we got some lunch and watched the rally on tv while we ate! It was a perfect day! I hope Ben remembers it-the kid does have his Uncle Matt's memory so chances are pretty good!


No comments:

Post a Comment